Lucas A Nelson
Maryland Institute College of Art - BFA General Fine Arts, with a minor in Theater
Expected graduation: May 2017
Creative, Artistic and Theatre Experience:
Art Handler and Install for William Christenberry Exhibition "Laying by Time" at MICA Decker Gallery (install Nov-Dec 2016) - Show took place just over a week after Christenberry's death.
Exhibition Designer and Graphic Designer for upcoming exhibition "American Made"
at Maryland Art Place, exhibition on view April 27, 2017 - end of May - 2016 - May-current
MICA Exhibitions Specialist: Working in all aspects of the exhibition from art handling
to curating and installing - 2014 - current
MICA Environment Health and Safety Officer: Review and address safety protocols in artist studios to ensure that everyone and their art is safe while engaging in their art and studio practice. - 2015 - present
Intern with Lee Anderson Fashion Designer, Laurel MD: Set designer - 2014
Theater Tech Crew 2011-2016 position; to design and build theatrical sets, set artist, operate stage sound, house and stage lights and create special effects from the catwalks for performances, ticket sales and train new crew. Past Shows: - Jailbait 2016 (8 shows) -
Black Bird 2016 (8 shows) - Almost Maine 2015 (3 shows) - Man of Mode 2015 (8 shows acting) - Alice in Wonderland 2013 ( 4 shows) - Moon Over Buffalo 2013 (4 shows) - A Midsummer Night's Dream 2013 (2 shows) - AVID boys and girls club presentation 2012
(1 show) - Cultural Palooza 2012 (2 shows) - SRHS Improv. show 2011-2013 (10 shows)
Singularly designed and pained set for "A Mid Summer Night's Dream" production - set
showcased at the Hippodrome Theater in Baltimore for the Cappy's awards- spring 2013.
Other Work Experience:
Orientation Leader at MICA, Baltimore, MD: representing and welcoming new students and incoming freshmen to our school 2014-2015 school year
- "Vibrations" Juried show " Works On Paper" MFA Circle Gallery, Annapolis, MD - 2017
- "The Technicians Desk" Annual national juried show " Strokes of Genius" MFA Circle Gallery, Annapolis, MD - 2016
- "Forgery" Fox 3 Gallery, Baltimore, MD - 2015
- "Burnt and Burning" public exhibition in the downtown area of Baltimore City, commemorating the life of artist William Dutterer - 2014
- "A Light Experiment" MICA foundation show, Baltimore, MD - 2014
- "Back in Time" Anne Arundel County Spring Art Festival, Annapolis, MD - 2013 Best in show award
- "Bull" Paint Annapolis En-Plein Air painting competition - Honerable mention - Sponsored by Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts & Annapolis En-Plein Air Association, Annapolis, MD - 2013
Won the highest honor scholarship for some of the best foundation work to be generated from MICA - 2014
Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel, SketchUp
Skills: Painting, drawing, canvas stretching, custom mat cutting and framing, exhibitions, gallery work, ceramics, kiln operation, woodworking, theater, theater tech crew, theater set design & build.